When someone dies, by law the death has to be registered with the
Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages within five working days and with the Registrar for the district in which the death has occurred. If, however, because of distance, it is easier for you to visit the Registrar within the area you live, this can be arranged.
Most Registrars work on an appointment system and the telephone number for them can be found on the envelope that you have been given containing the ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’ from your doctor or hospital.
This is something we are more than happy to advise you on, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The Registrar will ask for the following information:-
- The deceased’s full name (maiden name if applicable)
- Their usual address
- Their date and place of birth
- The date and place of death
- The deceased’s last occupation
- If married, the name, date of birth and occupation of the spouse
- Whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension
The Registrar will give you the Certificate for Burial or Cremation, which can also be referred to as the Green Certificate. This needs to be given to the funeral director as soon as possible.
They will also issue the documentation giving a unique reference number for the Tell Us Once service.
You will be asked if you require copies of the Entry of Death (this is the documentation that is known as the Death Certificate), there is a charge for these copies but they are needed to give to banks, building societies, insurance companies, private pensions, solicitors, etc.
Registrar’s Offices in our area:-
Below are just some of the offices in our area. There is a central booking line number available for the Registrar’s offices in Norfolk, through Norfolk County Council and by telephoning 0344 800 8020. Alternatively you can book online by visiting their website at www.norfolk.gov.uk. If the Coroner has been involved in the death, you can only make an appointment through the telephone line.
- Wayland area – King’s House, King Street, Thetford, IP24 2AP
- Dereham area – Breckland Business Centre, St Withburga Lane, Dereham, NR19 1FD
- Norwich area – The Archive Centre, County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich, NR1 2DQ
- King’s Lynn area – The Town Hall, Saturday Market Place, King’s Lynn, PE30 5DQ